Wednesday 18 May 2011

Rust en Vrede forever!

We sat in the arched window at the end

I’ve been holding-out for a hero, a food hero that is, and last night I met him. His name is David Higgs, head chef at Rust en Vrede restaurant in Stellenbosch. My lovely boyfriend spoiled me for my birthday, and treated me to dinner there. Turns out that food heaven is nestled in amongst the oaks on of the most picturesque wine estates in the Cape.


I’ve long been a Rust en Vrede wine fan. (I truly believe that a bottle or 6 of Rust en Vrede Estate – a Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz fusion triumph should be compulsory on all bucket lists.) But the wine list at the restaurant blew my mind – all 42 pages of it!!

Eat Out 2011 Cover

The food lived up to all expectations – the restaurant has been on Eat Out’s Top 10 list for the last 3 years, and this year they took Best Restaurant; Best Chef and Best Service awards. Every single one 100% deserved. It was, without a doubt, the best restaurant experience I have ever had!

To compliment our bottle of Estate 2006, we opted for the 4 course option (there is also a set 6 course with wine pairing by sommelier, Neil Grant). My delicious dinner consisted of a first course of warm ‘green’ soup, liquid Kleinriver Gruyere custard with a Waldorf finishing. Second course was pear and Riesling risotto with salad of pea, asparagus and a Parmesan foundue. This was followed by pan fried lamb loin and shoulder ‘kaings’ and brussels and endive with gnocchi and a Yuzu gel.
By this stage I could barely move I was so full, but I persevered for the green tea parfait, hibiscus jelly, crisp rose petals with a guava and pomegranate ‘crumble’.

It was all far too delicious for words.

And when we left, I was presented with this beautifully wrapped brownie for my birthday.


Do yourself a favour...go. www.rustenvrede.com



No comments:

Post a Comment